Friday, September 28, 2007

Critique #1: Libby Stokes

So let's start with some stuff from June:





The piece above was just an experiment. It started with sewing paper and pipecleaners and just grew.

I then tried sewing fabric and pipecleaners.





I really liked these little experiments and got really positive feedback. Although I don't know where I would take them next, the fact that they are totally intuitive and spur of the moment should tell me something... But if anyone has any specific suggestions/directions, all is welcome.

These are some drawings of an idea I have for some fiber-made bean pods.







I have always been drawn to growth and plants and have particularly had beans, bean pods and germination on my mind for the last couple of years. I started by painting pods, then I did the yarn-wrapped bean pods. Now I am thinking about creating pods out of felt or some heavy fabric or wool. I don't know what will go inside for seeds (maybe real seeds, maybe something else?). I know I have been creating some objects lately that have been models of real things (the crocheted heart, hands...) and so I guess I want to know if this is ok or good. I do want to explore the abstract objects, but are the realistic objects worth continuing as well?

1 comment:

J.R. Uretsky said...

"so I guess I want to know if this is ok or good. I do want to explore the abstract objects, but are the realistic objects worth continuing as well?"

Yeah I think so. The pods are obviously important to you so you should make them.