Monday, May 18, 2009

Lauren wanted to hear more about our every day lives. Here it goes...

The everyday tales of what I should have done: 18 May 2009

Jacob used to be a boy-scout but he never made it to Eagle. He works at the pharmacy, and every week when I go in to pick up my boss's prescription he never looks at me. Jacob is a German- Japanese mutt with the cloudy voice of a nun, and today I have decided to end our weekly non-interactions. He asked me to "please sign the pin pad," and I stabbed the sleeve of his blue smock, tent- staking his arm to the counter, and plunged my face in his direction. I misjudged my leap and landed with the tip of my nose in his ear hole; the inside of his head reeked of musk and fabric softener. He squawked and with that I slid off the counter and stood before him. I apologized and explained that I was aiming for his neck, I told him that my intention was to glide up to the space between the L of his jaw and his clavicle, lick my lips, and kiss him. Kiss him - right there on the neck; but, I missed and landed with the tip of my nose in his ear.

3 comments:

Eleanor Greer said...

Jamie, whenever I see a blind man in the metro, I follow him. And I imagine holding his arm, his hand, what being touched would be like from someone who´s touch is their sight. I love this bit of writing...it´s quite aggresively beautiful.

lauren mcconnablah said...

"cloudy voice of a nun"

i like this.

I also feel the awkwardness of his squawk and your obligation to apologize. Thank you for your report.

Libby said...

Mmmmm.