Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My turn, yay!

Friends,

Hello! I'm so glad that we are doing this. I am excited to hear from you all. I always look forward to updates!

So first, I want to show and tell about work. As you know, I am working full-time in floral now. And I can't say enough how much it pleases me toe doing what I'm doing. I think something I've had to process and deal with over the last couple of years is coming to terms with the work I'm doing. I have had to deal with the ordinariness of it. The unimportance. The lowliness. That somehow with the degree I have, and with the expectations set out for me from family and friends and culture, that I need to be doing more. Or making more money. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. It sucks. So anyway. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to be ok with the fact that I love my job. And that I am not a career person. And that I may not ever make more than $20,000 a year. But. I'm happy. I love my work. I get to make pretty things. I get to be outside. I get to make other people happy. I get to use my hands. I am learning new things every day. And that is enough.

Here is what my day looks like:





And here are some pretty things I've made:









With the kind of work I do, I have more brain space and freedom to do other fun stuff I want to. And although I haven't been productive in the fine-art sense, I'm finding that there are so many other things I love. I love food and cooking. I love clothes and shopping and making things fit me perfectly. I love a good bargain. I LOVE making my home a home. Here are some things that make me happy in my home:

My craft space.



Once I put my thread up, it was like I could breathe. I love things color coordinated. (See next photo… duh.) I love my old book collection. And my white vases. (This picture was a while back, and both collections have grown… heheh).



This is my livingroom from the kitchen. I should have updated the photo, because since I took this, I've put more artwork up, including a cupcake photo by Syd, yay, and a baby-on-sheet-music piece by Jamie, yay. On this particular photo day, I was enjoying the bounty of a green, albeit flower-less, garden.



And this is my bed. This was in my old apartment, but the bed's the same now. I love this bed. Syd, you have the same one, from Ikea. I first fell in love with it at your place when we were there for New Years. But I wanted a black one, and they didn't come in black. So I went all DIY and painted it. It was a hellish experience, but so worth it. I LOVE this bed.



Here's some random stuff I've made recently. Like this pumpkin that I entered in a contest at work. It didn't win, but it was pretty damn cute anyway :)



And this is a rock I nabbed from the beach when we were all (mostly) together in San Diego a while back. I brought it home and always wanted to paint it, but didn't get around to it until a couple weeks ago. It's so happy!



And this is a purse a friend commissioned me to make. I think my favorite part about it isn't the bag's shape or style, but the quality. I am most proud of my workmanship. My momma taught me well.



The same friend has commissioned me to make her wedding dress, huzzah! And I'm super excited. These are some preliminary drawings I did after we tried on some dresses and decided what she wants. I know it's not that fancy looking in sharpie on pink paper, but hey, it's a first draft:





Ok, now for my adorable niece. This weekend we are celebrating her 4th birthday. Yowza! I'm so in love with her. I am giving her a giant box of dinosaur figurines and the Land Before Time DVD. Yay!



This was at the Oregon Gardens during our family reunion in August. I love this picture. This is pretty much how I feel about her, and how she usually responds to my affection:



This is why you should visit me in Portland. Because occasionally we have SPECTACULARLY gorgeous days. And this is what they look like.



Finally, something I can't get enough of: Music. I am constantly obsessing over discovering new tunes. I love matching up songs and albums with my current state… creating a soundtrack. I become extremely sentimental about music and the memories that a song can recall. A good playlist might sound nice to someone else, but to me it will tell a story of a certain time. Here are some albums that are making up my story these days:

The Wombats / This Modern Glitch -- Found out about them from the (free, booyah!) satellite radio I listen to in my car, Altnation. I love Altnation. But yeah, The Wombats are a lot of fun.

Foster the People / Torches -- I guess they are a favorite among teens these days, but I don't care. They make me want to dance. And the show that Lauren and I saw last week was amazing! So much fun.

The Kooks / Junk of the Heart -- I started listening to them when I was with Steve. And I haven't stopped. This album is lighthearted and fun. Good stuff.

Dawes / North Hills and Nothing in Wrong -- I heard about them from the cute boy I told you about from my church. We are going to see them next month. Date? I don't know about that, but we'll see ;)

Feist / Metals -- Ughhhh, Feist. How I love thee. Can't go wrong here.

The Civil Wars / Barton Hollow -- Just found out about them. Remember Joy Williams? (Sweet girl-pop Christian music?) Well now she's making country-folk happiness with some dude. And it's good.

City and Colour / Little Hell -- First heard about them from Greg, and oddly enough started listening to this latest album because of Steve. Eh, full circle.

Cults / Cults -- These folks are touring with Foster the People. Listen to Go Outside, and then go outside. Yay.

Josh Garrels / Love & War & The Sea In Between -- A free album on his website, this guy has a great voice and some really lovely and thoughtful songs.

Brooke Frasier / Flags -- She was one of my on-repeat breakup albums. I love this album, and she has some great songs.

Sara Bareilles / Kaleidoscope Heart -- The song Bluebird makes me die. This has been my five-months-post-break-up album for sure.

The Weepies / Be My Thrill -- I finally saw them in concert this summer. So good. This album is not as great as their others, but still happy.

Gavin Degraw / Sweeter -- Oh man, he reminds me of my sophomore year of college for sure. Such good memories. This album sounds pretty much the same, but has some great new songs. Several of them have lines that have gotten me a bit verklempt.

Ok, there you have it. If you want more music recommendations, I'm so game. Happy listening :)

Love love love to you all. I'll be checking back to really read each person's update. Yay!

3 comments:

Sydney said...

Libby,

Thanks for your update. Your flower arrangements are spectacular, truly! But most of all, I am just happy to hear that you are satisfied with the work you are doing. I think you have hit on values we all can appreciate--working with your hands, producing beautiful objects and making people happy. It does feel so great when you produce something you are proud of and that other people recognize as beautiful. Well done.

And thanks for showing us your home--I want to visit soooo badly! I can definitely appreciate the need to make your home comfortable and beautiful for other people--that is a gift you have and don't play it down.

I also really cannot wait to see the wedding dress you are making! Promise you will post it when it is complete! I wish I was getting married so I could commission you!

I am also excited to listen to your music recommendations--I am always on the lookout for new music--thank you!

Can't wait to see what is next!

J.R. Uretsky said...

My beautiful friend,

Immediately after I finished reading your post I sobbed for a solid two minutes. I have a feeling all of my comments are going to be lovefests but, I really miss you. I don't think we have had one on one hang out time in something insane like ... two years? Insane and not okay.

I was bragging about your floral work to Murray the other day and we both nerded out about your capacity for arranging, organizing and making in the 3rd dimension AND your amazing eye for color. It seems that floral is a PERFECT place for you. Undoubtably, anything you get your hands on is going to be well-crafted and fucking beautiful, what's interesting (and this may sound weird) is how someone like you who can make things so well seem to have a difficult time settling into something, or finding something that they can do for a job that continues to challenge and excite them. It seems that you have found it. Think of how much joy your flowers are bringing people! They really are breathtaking, Libby.

Your home looks AMAZING! I was also bragging (I guess this happens often) about your journey with feminism and ideas about being a homemaker. Your approach to "making a home" by way of beautiful things, creates a sort of infectious comfort--meaning when I see images of your home/workspace or imagine you creating a comfortable, warm environment there is something about that that makes me want to be more productive. What an amazing talent.

Thanks for the music and I cannot believe Molly is 4.

Ugh, you are loved and missed.

Eleanor Greer said...

LIBBY, there is such beauty, joy and freedom in what you have posted...I feel as though fresh air is entering my lungs as I again spend time with your post. I did not cry as Jamie did when I read this but I did feel so full of goodness!

We can all understand the battle that occurs between pursuing a profession versus pursuring what we love/do well whether it become a profession or not. And you, Libby, are in the right place. Everything you have made, taken photos of, and said about your work is right on! Your sense of color, texture, shape and line all come flowering forth in the arrangements you are making. It is so very untrue that you are not using your degree, you absolutely are the right person to be making floral arrangemtents. So many people would love to do what you do, I am so happy for you!


If we can find a way to visit you, let's do so all together. I am ready for a trip up north where the air is cleaner and where I can see your home, Libby, in person. Also,please, if you could make MY clothes fit me perfectly, I would appreciate it :)

Thanks for the music on my end as well, I am still stuck some 5 years back! Love you.