Monday, June 1, 2009

Tell me now

I'm learning that it is really important to say things out loud. I'm a notorious thinker, observer, watcher-- forming my opinions of the world based on the story I build in my brain. Instead of saying sorry, I often get quiet and ignore the discomfort until things explode. I feel silly when I tell people I like them. Even just my friends. And yet I yearn for someone to say that to me.

I think of lot of my failure in goal-keeping is that I also don't like to be frivolous with my ideas and plans by telling every soul, for fear of having to tell all those souls that things didn't work out. I keep it to myself and hope that when things DO work, I get to say, "Surprise! I did it! Yay me!" Really though, this rarely happens.

So, for the month of June I am telling you all (as insignificant as it may seem in the bigger picture, and although you cannot do much from afar but cheer me on) that I am giving up gluten, dairy and refined sugar. I know, right? Food? You're thinking, "where are all the lofty life-goals I was expecting to see next?" Well, I'm starting with food.

Anyone else have any June-goals? Tell me, and I will tell you I like you.

2 comments:

J.R. Uretsky said...

1st: RAD!

2nd: so um...what CAN you eat?

Libby said...

Things that are good for my body. I eat rice and vegetables and fruit. I sweeten things with agave syrup or maple or honey. I drink tea with oat biscuits in the morning. I eat lots of hummus. My favorite meal ever at work is a grilled chicken breast, brown rice, hummus, grilled onions and raw broccoli. YUM. I keep a bag of almonds in my purse. Stone-fruit and local strawberries are coming into season. I drink Kombucha at work instead of juice or soda. There are so many wonderful things, but it's not easy.