Sunday, June 3, 2007

flopping barney.


Barney is the name of the cat who is currently asleep against my left leg, confining me to my bedroom floor until he so decides. Now, let it be known that I, Eleanor Greer Clemmons, am NOT a cat person by any definition of the term. But Barney...silly silly Barney is making me into an ok-with-cats-person.

On a side note, Barney's owner, A single woman, age 50, and an incredibly talented conductor. Now rid from your head any thoughts of a so called "cat-lady", that being the single, older woman who owns 12 cats for it is only for my want of writing skills that any such image will come to your mind. I have been observing her these past days for I have been curious as to what it would look like to be as wonderful as she, and yet unmarried. She has Barney. Dear flopping Barney, to her, is a friend, a roommate, a listening ear, a child and a pet. Her other cat Lucy died on Mother's Day and Barney has been spending a lot of time recently under the bed where Lucy died. Thus Barney has been dotted upon, talked to and treated...she has a special voice that is used only for Barney.

I was told this morning that often New Yorkers grow complacent and lacking suprise at the gifts of everyday life for they live in New York...the city where you can find everything, all the time. So here's to being from California and learning how to keep ones eyes open.

ps: I think that Elly is a GREAT name...and that Barney, although a member of the Flintstones crew, is a dinosaur.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Elly, that cat looks very comfy against your leg. Indeed I think you run the risk of becoming an ok-with-cats person if you let that little dinosaur keep snuggling up with you.

My other thought is that if I were fifty and unmarried and had a cat, but had people like you going around saying I was so wonderful...that might just be enough for me...