Thursday, June 21, 2007

an inquiring mind would like to know

I have been thinking a lot about profanity in art. Something that is profane is that which is secular, irreverent, or as some would consider it, offensive. When artists use profanity in art, perhaps it is to examine the power that association brings to a word...the collective opinion of a majority who label a word as secular and use it only to express extreme emotion or frustration etc etc. Artists may use profanity in juxtaposition to the sacred, or even further still for humor or irony. But when does this become ploy, or gimmick?? I am objectively asking these questions, because I am wondering if there are times when using profanity can become a crutch for the artist, or is used to offend or to be confrontational. Profanity is inherently aggressive/confrontational and so it seems to me that using this to be confrontational in a piece may be a cheap trick (if this is indeed the aim of the artist). Now there have been times when I have been surprised (and yes, delighted) at seeing a well-played expletive in a piece (like the gratification of finding money in your jeans pocket). When expletives are the subject or dominating factor in a piece of art, I have often wondered when or if, this idea is too played-out. Maybe this is something to be explored further??
Furthermore, I think it would be negligence to fail to consider how this idea affects a Christian artist.

I am throwing this out onto nesbit, because I think it is a curious position to consider and would love to hear what everyone else has to say.

1 comment:

J.R. Uretsky said...

mmm...good observation. As someone who is a Christian and uses profanity in my work, and also enjoys seeing a bit of profanity in art every now and then...I would respond to your post by first saying that the reason why I enjoy it and use it from time to time is because for me, profanity connects me to the earth or to humanity. I think this is the main reason why I love artists such as Diane Arbus, Wolfgang Tillmans, R. Crumb, and Daniel Clowes. These four image makers often have some of the most profane subject matter, but for some reason it makes me feel more real. Some how looking at a photo of some dirty English punk taking a piss on a chair makes me feel closer to God. How??? You ask...well I guess the most simple way to put it: paintings, drawings, photos, sculptures, stained glass, art that is profane or has some sort of profanity in it seems incredibly human to me. Like, saying the word shit is just as human as taking one. To me, it points to our human nature and the brokenness of that there of. This always seems to make me feel very small and God very big, the result of which tents to be the only kind of praise I am akin to these days...stopping for a second, cracking a half smile and letting out a breathy chuckle through my nose, shaking my head and mumbling, "Thanks, God."

I do see your point about it become kitchy, and more often then not it does. But sometimes, when it's really good a "Fuck you in your neck" pushes me towards praise rather then artist's perfunctory.